Frequently Asked Questions
IS LIGHTNING PROTECTION MANDATORY?
• No, lightning protection is an option and not mandatory, however, if installed it must be installed within the normative references.
DO YOU NEED TO ISSUE A CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE FOR LOW VOLTAGE SOLAR SYSTEMS?
• Yes, the code of practise states that any system from 0 to 1000 volts need to have a coc issued, it is mandatory.
SHOULD A GEYSER RUN ON ITS OWN CIRCUIT OR CAN IT RUN WITH A PLUG CIRCUIT?
• The municipal bylaws in most cities, require that at least one geyser be controlled through a load shedding device. If there’s additional geysers, then these can be fed off a plug circuit.
IS CLEAT WIRING LEGAL?
• Yes, providing that it complies with the standard.
SHOULD THERE BE AN ISOLATOR CLOSE TO A GEYSER?
• A disconnector for a geyser is a requirement and can take different forms and be installed in different places, providing it complies with the requirements , i.e. sans10142-1
IF THERE IS NO EARTH LEAKAGE, BUT THERE IS A SWITCH DISCONNECTOR, IS IT ACCEPTABLE?
• If the installation year was before 1976 and no additional work was done, no repairs etc., then no earth leakage was necessary. If the installation year was after 1976, then an earth leakage would be obligatory.
SHOULD A NEW CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE BE OBTAINED IF A PROPERTY IS BEING SOLD AND THE EXISTING CERTIFICATE IS OLDER THAN 2 YEARS?
• Yes, change of ownership may not take place if the certificate of compliance is older than 2 years.
IS OPEN WIRING ACCEPTABLE IN A ROOF SPACE?
• It is perfectly acceptable, providing it complies with the code of practise for the wiring of premises.
IF A LIGHT FITTING IS RUSTED, DOES IT NEED TO BE REPLACED?
• Tests need to be carried out, to prove the safety of the appliance and not the functionality. If a light fitting is rusted, but still offers sufficient protection in terms of the regulations, then this fitting does not necessarily need to be replaced.
IS IT A REQUIREMENT THAT PAGE 4 “OPTIONAL INFORMATION SKETCHES/DIAGRAMMES” ON THE COC BE COMPLETED?
• This is simply an optional page and is not a requirement, there’s no legal obligation placed on anyone to utilize this page.
IS IT NECESSARY FOR A “WIREMAN’S LICENSE” AS ISSUED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR TO BE RENEWED FROM TIME TO TIME?
• No, but the registered person should stay abreast of all the changes to sans10142-1, the electrical industry is forever changing and therefore the registered people need to stay on top of these changes.
WHO SHOULD BE IN RECEIPT OF AN ORIGINAL CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE?
• The purchaser/owner of the property and a copy should be kept by the contractor that issued the certificate.
DO T.V. AERIALS AND DISHES NEED TO BE EARTHED?
• Yes, if it is the highest point of the installation but if the metal roof is higher, then it is not needed to be earthed.
IF I HAVE A WIREMAN’S LICENSE AND I’M NOT REGISTERED WITH THE ECB, CAN I ISSUE COC’S?
• No, as per regulation 6(1) and the definition “installation work” of the electrical installation regulations